Stock, Operations & Logistics
Christian Bassett is recruiting a Director of Real Estate, Logistics and Gallery Operations, Asia for a renowned dynamic marketplace for art and luxury company.
This role will be reporting to, Global Head of Operations
Working closely with the Managing Director Asia, the global Head of Operations and respective Heads of Department, this role oversees numerous Real estate projects in Asia, the Warehouse 3PL, as well as running the day-to-day Facilities, Exhibition Services, Security, Insurance and Logistics of the company in Asia, spread across 8 offices regionally.
The role is focused on delivering key strategic initiatives to improve internal efficiency and enhance the client experience. Based in Hong Kong the role will help other key Asian business centres. The team reporting in this role is 15-20 staff. The role is also overseeing the relationship with all real estate and logistic vendors and therefore will employ outsourced resources.
• Monitor lease renewals
• Write scope of works for all real estate initiatives taking into account all business needs
• Monitor progress of real estate projects and in particular all work permits deadlines, vendors deadlines and deliverables, budgets and related capex
• Lead real estate committees and ensure all stakeholders are informed in a timely manner
• Regularly report to Managing Director Asia, Global Procurement and Finance partners on forecasts and cash-flow
• Manage Warehouse partners, photograph services and any logistic partner
• RFP services regularly and challenge vendors on efficiencies and cost-saves
• Follow up and report on KPIs and SLAs
• In charge of managing inventory of all auctions, private sale and marketplace property
• Ensure aged inventory (property that is not already assigned for sale or sold property not picked up by buyers) is discussed monthly with the business to ensure action is taken
• Optimise processes used in warehouse management with the goal to reduce touch points and accelerate moves of property in/out. With Product and tech teams, scope technology to optimise flows and reduce manpower.
Sale logistics/Gallery Operations:
• Design and supervise all logistics moves of art and luxury goods between the company’s locations in Hong Kong: exhibition venue, office and warehouse.
• Lead and manage all logistic arrangements and budgets of any live event, exhibition, or auction set-up in Asia
• Source/recommend and engage external vendors including exhibition staff, security agents, designer, main contractor, lighting consultant, AV, telecom supplier and caterer etc. to support events, auctions and any exhibition.
• Supervise the activities of external vendors on the exhibition/auction days
• Regularly RFP agreements with venue providers and all external vendors and monitor the service quality of all service providers of exhibition/auction service
• Ensure overall layout of exhibitions complying with security, health and safety requirement
• Work closely with Risk Management to reduce insurance claims, assist in the Investigation and reporting of all insurance claims relating to art handling
• Ensure business continuity planning, and disaster recovery capabilities.
Division oversight and support
• Manage the divisional P&L
• In close partnership with HR ensure staff issues are dealt with in accordance with company practices, including but not limited to internal communications, performance management, development, recruitment and succession planning and overview of pay and benefits.
• Lead and manage the logistics operations teams (Art Handling, Property storage-delivery-collection, Exhibition set-up, facilities and security) to provide exceptional service
Skills / Competencies / Experience:
• Ideally 10-plus years of work experience with 5 years at managerial level in a multinational organisation
• Extensive logistics and supply chain management knowledge. Experience in high property value exhibition preferred
• Must display exceptional leadership and management competencies and a will to learn end-to-end processes in all areas covered by subordinates
• Good commercial acumen with proven 3rd party negotiation skills, strong analytical skills and attention to detail
• Previous experience of budget control and P&L ownership
• Experience with IT projects and roll-out of tech changes
• Capable of developing clear and up-to-date procedural documentation and project plans
• Able to work independently, experienced in leading a team, and managing conflicting internal interests
• Highly adaptable to a fast-moving and high intensity environment
• Problem solver with ability to exercise judgment and optimize resources
• Able to maintain the highest standards of confidentiality
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, fluency in Mandarin required